820-3332 power issues

jgraffis

Here's another fun one. 820-3332-A board this board had been brought in for beer spill. i get green light on charger but only had 1.7v on ppbus_g3h.Looked to be a problem with isl6259, i changed it out and got 12v back on ppbus_g3h. Plugged a battery in smelled something smoking, unplugged everything and ppbus_g3h is back to 1.5v.

Something seems to be shorting out the isl6259 when a battery is plugged in. i measured for short to ground on q7055, pin 5 gives me an 0L reading. checked for resistance on pin 5 with 0L still.

not really sure where to go with this one.

dukefawks

Administrator
Need more info, a short on Q7055 does not tell me anything, how many pins does it have? The machine should have powered on without a battery too. I bet there is a short on PPBUS

jgraffis

q7055 has 8 pins 4 of which are input from battery as ppvbat_g3h. machine did not power up when connected to 85w charger. i show .427 in diode mode on F7040. But i just noticed that after i unplug the charger in diode mode it starts at -1.6 then goes to 0.427. so probably a weak short?

jgraffis

thats what i was thinking too. i did some poking around to find smc_reset_L at 3.3v. I'm missing a bunch of power rails. it doesn't get warm anywhere on the board so not sure what would be causing this.

jgraffis

PPBUS_G3H is at 12.28v after i changed the isl6259 out for the second time. don't really want to plug in the battery and blow another isl6259 chip.

i noticed u7600pin 13 is at 0.012v with no short to ground.

dukefawks

Administrator
12.28V is no good anyway, either SMC not running or SMC is dead. I bet dead SMC and dead battery.
Short on pin 13 is also no good, remove r7601 and check which side the short is coming from.

jgraffis

i have no way of check the battery really. but i checked and in diode mode on pin 13 of u7600 i get 0.374. maybe something went crazy and shorted some of the smc out. seems like i tend to get a lot of bad smc's. is that pretty common for water damaged machines?

dukefawks

Administrator
Common on liquid damage and stuff that has been/is being fucked around with. If you have a green/orange light it should still power on though

jgraffis

yea i agree with you, I'm not questioning you... just new to this and not that great at reading the schematics yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

dukefawks

Administrator
Come one, engage your brain.......Voltage on PPBUS, R7940 and check short to GND on L7260. Green/orange light present?

jgraffis

ppbus_g3h is 12.28v. R7940 0.001v. in diode mode 0.5551. L7260 has a low diode mode measurement of 0.130. Yes i have a green light on the charger. i checked U7201 and it is receiving the 12.28v on vin but nothing on the enable signals.

jgraffis

found short to ground on pin 2 of d6950, tracked back to pin2 of r5281, removed r5281 and found short to ground on the pad going to the smc. I also found there to be a short on pin 1 of r5281 which i traced back to pin 1 of r6995. still not sure how this resistor could have a short to ground being that i removed u6990 to make sure it wasnt the problem. still dont understand how i had a green light with a short on pp3v42.

i dont have a replacement smc for this board. Thanks for all your help Duke.