[SOLVED]820-4924 Apple diagnostic shows wifi issue detected

mohammed

Hello,

I have a MacBook pro a1502 820-4924 that had some corrosion near U1950 area, I had replaced the gate, and a capacitor that doesn't look very good in that area. The computer powers on, but when we go to run the internet diagnostic, it won't let us launch Apple internet diagnostic, because it reports there is an issue detected with wifi. We tried a different WLAN card, and got same error. Where would be a good place to start to troubleshoot this?

This is how the area looked before
http://imgur.com/nOPQT1l

This is how that corroded area looks now
http://imgur.com/EMbT24R

mohammed

Sorry for late reply, got customers correct password, and in OSX it still says no hardware detected. I also tried the HDMI and the USB port that's on the same daughter board that the wifi card sits on and those work. So looks like still something I'm missing on the board. But not too sure where to start to track it down.

mohammed

Yes, I just tried the IO board and WLAN card from the other 2015 13" retina I'm working on, and same results "no hardware detected"

mohammed

OK, so we got the wifi issue sorted. L9501 was missing, so got that replaced from donor. But the computer feels really laggy/slow trackpad. I ran diagnostics and it's showing following error:

There may be an issue with the power management system REFERENCE Code: PPN001

There may be an issue with the system management controller (smc)
REFERENCE Code: PFM006

Additional reference code :NDC001

mohammed

OK, so I installed istat the one labelled "CPU System Agent Core" goes from 32 to 104 degrees, and keeps doing that. Not sure if that's normal. CPU vcore shows 1.64v, DC in 16.24v, pbus 12.79v

dukefawks

Administrator
Was the EFI ROM messed with? This could be an ME issue. I doubt the CPU is really running at 100C+, see if your finger burns ;)

mohammed

Was the EFI ROM messed with? This could be an ME issue. I doubt the CPU is really running at 100C+, see if your finger burns ;)

This was brought in from another shop, their customer brought it in for this slow down issue, and the other shop broke the keyboard connector trying to troubleshoot the customer's computer. They brought it to us, we replaced the keyboard connector, cleaned up the corrosion, and replaced that missing filter for the wifi issues. But customer's initial complaint was this issue of the computer being very laggy. Also, the temperatures are in farenheit . I doubt the EFI was ever messed with

dukefawks

Administrator
PFM006 is either a trackpad sensor issue or the Airport sensor on the IO board. Check flat cables/connectors/trackpad, etc. They are on SMBUS_SMC_2 and 3
NDC001 is a camera error.

mohammed

PFM006 is either a trackpad sensor issue or the Airport sensor on the IO board. Check flat cables/connectors/trackpad, etc. They are on SMBUS_SMC_2 and 3
NDC001 is a camera error.

yup, looks like that camera cable is causing this craziness. Probably not an easy way to replace the cable it looks like, besides getting a new display assembly?

dukefawks

Administrator
They fucked that up as well? No there is no way to replace the cable without fucking up the LCD. Well there is, but you really don't want to splice 8 miniature coax cables together.

mohammed

They fucked that up as well? No there is no way to replace the cable without fucking up the LCD. Well there is, but you really don't want to splice 8 miniature coax cables together.

:rolleyes: I don't think I'm going to take any more boards from other businesses, I'll stick to my walk-in clients, and fix what I can from there. Anyways, thanks for all the help with this one. I'll see what they want to do with this machine, I think we can mark this one as solved!