[SOLVED]820-00165 No Trackpad or Keyboard after Backlight repair

AaronH

I have an 820-00165 that came in fully functional except for backlight. Trackpad & keyboard definitely worked.

I found corrosion all around U7701, which was badly damaged at Pin 5 (PPVOUT_SW_LCDBKLT_FB). I replaced the driver which fixed the backlight, but now the trackpad/kb are completely inop. I have checked for damage to the cable and the connector. The rest of the board looks clean as well, like a single drop of water went straight to the backlight driver and killed it.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
What voltage do you get on pin 10, 14, and 19 of J4800?

After that, the magical question: if you hold down the option key upon turning it on, do you get to the screen where you can select a boot device? Do trackpad & keyboard work here in this screen? Can you hit left & right to select other boot devices and move the cursor around and click them? If so, I leave this for duke. :D

I'm also assuming you already tried another flat cable/trackpad/keyboard at this point that are known good.

AaronH

J4800
Pin 10:
3.32V
Pin 14: 5.10V
Pin 19: 3.40V

Option boot works, can use trackpad & kb here just fine. Tested arrows, wifi login, etc

I have not tested another cable, trackpad, or kb due to lack of testable parts. Seems these are probably OK though since they work in the Option boot menu?

EDIT:

OK since measuring the kb connector pins and letting it sit in the option menu to think about its life for a few minutes, I rebooted it normally and everything works. Mark this one solved i guess? This one definitely won't come back. Nope. Not a chance.

Last edited: