Macbook Air 820-2796

vaswaniraj

Hi Louis,
I received this Macbook Air from a customer which the customer complained is not coming on. I opened the back cover of the Macbook Air and the fan was spinning but there was no display. I went ahead and removed the logic board from the Macbook Air and closely looked it under the microscope. The following areas were corroded. R1000, C1280 C1217 ( that complete area was densely corroded ) Going further I even saw a little corrosion on U7201 and also on Q9441. I decided to ultrasonic clean the logic board which i did, but after the ultrasonic the area where R1000, C11280 and C1217 there contact points on the logic board are exposed where RED marks are visible. Also I went ahead and checked the power rails where PP3V42_G3H and PPBUS_G3H are present. I also found that PP3V3_S0 and PP5V_S3 are showing 0 volts. The green light on the magsafe charger is coming on, but the fan does not spin. I need your further advice as to how can I go further troubleshooting this Logic Board. I am trying to refer to some of your videos to see if i can fix this logic board. Your help in this shall be highly appreciated. Thanks and Regards, Raj..

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
Have you replaced any of the corroded components with non corroded ones? Have you seen if any of the traces are broken in the corroded areas?

vaswaniraj

Hi Louis,
The place where the corrosion is very dense and many of the traces are broken. I tried to fix the traces on the logic board by checking the continuing but then was not successful. So I asked the customer if I could change the logic board itself, where I found one for $ 99.00. I can keep this board as a practice board and move on. As the customer has agreed for a used logic board, I am going to replace it with it and keep moving forward. Thanks and Regards, Raj.