820-2850-A strange graphics error

dr. moast

Hi everybody,

YES, I know this board is shit and I know that in 99,9% it's C9560 which causes kernel panics due to GT330M usage.

But here is the strange thing:
In the last year, we have repaired around 500 boards with "GPU problems" by simply replacing C9560, only 2 (!) in fact needed a new GPU.

But last week we got 5 devices on the same day (from different customers) all showing the following problem (see attachment). Last week we got another 3. One of the boards has already been tampered with before but the other ones were never touched. Now we already replaced C9560 (because we always replace that prophylactic no matter what the error is), but naturally the issue persisted.

Since we started repairing these boards we have never seen this issue and now we got 8 of them in 2 weeks. Isn't that weird?

Then we replaced the GPU with known good GPUs (at least the rest of the batch was flawless) on three boards but it is still exactly the same issue. All of the devices show the exact same pattern on the screen.
Does anybody have more experience with this type of error and can point us into the right direction? I know you would probably stop the repair at this point but unfortunately for at least two tickets this is not an option.

Thanks and best regards!

dr. moast

VRAM was not replaced. Should we try that?

GPU on 7 of the boards was never touched. Also thermal compound was still original.

Have you seen this exact pattern before and were you able to solve it?

dr. moast

Thanks duke,

we have a new batch of GPUs arriving on monday, will try another replacement and swap the VRAMs then.

dukefawks

Administrator
Mine is working after GPU replacement and VRAM reflow too. Not really confident these won't come back, time will tell.