Macbook Pro Aluminium sloooow boot

samiam

Have a friend with an older 2008 a1260 who described the problem exactly as below and i have thoroughly tested it to confirm such

i ran ASD nothing technically wrong
it functions properly but boot up takes forever, like it stalls after loading everything in verbose
often times to get it to actually proceed past that point, you can put it to sleep and then just wake it up
at which point
i get the kernel running about 300-400% of cpu for like 10 minutes until it magically stops and everything is fine until it decides to act up again
you can't do anything for those first 10 minutes, and sometimes like i said you have to put it to sleep to proceed
console is technically giving me a few HID errors, but I can't seem to find anything wrong with USB, tried both ports

any ideas?

only two things i can think of are the HID errors or maybe GPU being finicky

jgraffis

Usually when i see high kernel usage i have to run the update for the boot rom and smc from apples firmware website.

note: usually it has to be done from os x 10.7.

samiam

this was all in 10.6
i'm been trying to boot up to something higher but doesn't seem to go
10,7 on up gets stuck at waiting for dsmos
must be GPU right? still almost usable in 10.6

dukefawks

Administrator
Could be so many things. First heat up GPU and try again. Could also be some USB device like camera/topcase. But really, it's 10 years old, it's done. Oh these also need a working battery to operate normally!