[SOLVED]20-00165 SMC issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgraffis

I've got this 820-00165. It powers on and runs great but the fan is running at full speed. i ran the onboard hardware test and id came back with some bull shit about there may be an issue with your s.m.c.
check the pic. I did look around for liquid damage and didn't see anything of concern just minor residue on the board( nothing on any chips).

not really sure where to start on this one. any ideas?

Attachments

• photo942.jpg
    photo942.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0

Gurmon

One of your sensors is screwed. Without diagnostics it is going to be hard to track down which one it is. You'll need to look hard for corroded traces or components.

I'm not sure, but is there an application which can interrogate the SMC sensors, including power readings ? A bit like OSX temp. You might want to use that to see if that picks up any anomalies.

I can tell you this mac has had a fast fan issue reported as far back as early jan...so someone might have already had a go at cleaning stuff off already.

jgraffis

im not sure of any app that will do that. i haven't posted this before just got the machine 2 days ago. i will have another go with it under the microscope.

jgraffis

haha funny thing is i was telling my self last night i should check the trackpad area. Sure enough found corrosion on the cable and connector cleaned it up and problem solved.

wish some would would create a piece of software that could read the sensors on these newer boards. Mark problem as solved please

thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.