Solution to 820-3332 A1398 Macbook Pro GPU/freezing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgraffis

So I've got 2 of these 820-3332 machines that do the exact same thing. both of them run great until you try to play a video in full screen, then they shut down. When booted back up i get the error report that says GPU Panic error. i ran ASD EFI and it passed. When i run ASD O.S. it fails for IC0R.

almost seems like another issue like in the 2010 15" machines with the shit capacitor.

has anyone known this to be a common issue with this board?

SMMRepair

Yeah, a common issue covered by an Apple replacement program. Plug them into a good casing assembly and get them replaced for free. GPU failure.

dukefawks

Administrator
Resolder U8900, don't pull them pre heat the board and drag your iron around the pins with some fresh solder.

The Apple program ended 2 months ago........

SMMRepair

A large majority of the 3332 boards are still covered (4 years from original date of purchase). I've had 2 repaired in the past month. They will have the original date of purchase on file, but you're right, a lot of them will not be covered any longer.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Resoldering U8900 is a quicker way for me. It really is the only issue with these boards, GPU has nothing wrong with it.

SMMRepair

That's good to know; I can save time sending people to Apple to check on their coverage, and then having them come back for OOW repair. Thanks, duke.

dukefawks

Administrator
It's just better in any case to just fix the original board. The refurb garbage boards that Apple is using you never know what you going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.