820-3209 no image corroded pad

Rford

Have this 820-3209. Corrosion around lp8550, pretty bad. Removed LP8550, cleaned corrosion, noticed all pads looked fine but pin 13 was badly corroded and became shitstain. Used boardview to check where it's connected, no net. It doesn't seem to be connected to anything but has designation tp_bkl_fault. Put on the new bga chip anyway, no display, but bcklt does work. (Previously did not, also no display).

Rford

Have this 820-3209. Corrosion around lp8550, pretty bad. Removed LP8550, cleaned corrosion, noticed all pads looked fine but pin 13 was badly corroded and became shitstain. Used boardview to check where it's connected, no net. It doesn't seem to be connected to anything but has designation tp_bkl_fault. Put on the new bga chip anyway, no display, but bcklt does work. (Previously did not, also no display).

did that not post?

Rford

Can't garauntee the board software and files are error free. Already found a couple incorrect placements for the 3209 board view file. Was just checking. No image though, backlight DOES work.

Rford

When I turn it on, it makes the dark screen a bit brighter. The apple on the lid lights up as well. It does not display as a white screen. Before I changed the LP8550, it had nothing at all. Now the screen at least gets a little lighter (indicating backlight), and the apple lights up.

Rford

Unless you think 20 min isnt enough... No logo, no "?" nothing. just "lights up". Gimme a little credit jeeze. I know I ask some dumb questions but...

jgraffis

Have you tried booting to external with lcd NOT connected to see if it is posting video? My money is on either a bad screen or connector.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have 3.3v on pin 18 & 19 of J9000?

If you run ASD in an external monitor, do you get some displayport symbol error?

Have you tried another screen?

Rford

I do have 3.3v at pin 18 and 19. I ran ASD on external monitor and of course it says no issues. I haven't tried another screen yet, as unfortunately I do not have a test one laying around anymore... sounds more like a bad screen doesn't it?

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. If any of the traces between CPU & LCD are bad(or knocked off cap inbetween) it'll give a symbol error. If that is not the case, then likely bad screen.