Ultrasonic A1534 keyboards

ALB-Repairs

Thinking as these are PCB based not membrane then surely you could ultrasonic these keyboards with success (especaily if the keys work but are sticky?!)
anyone tried this?
Thanks

dukefawks

Administrator
Not tried, but if it is fucked what is there to loose? Still, there must be some sort of membrane under the keys that will retain liquid and will corrode.

SMMRepair

And the keys might come out looking funky/discolored. The ultrasonic does some weird stuff to plastics sometimes.

ALB-Repairs

Not fucked but very sticky. Ive repaired one before where there was corrosion on the PCB for the keyboard which was a nice bonus,
I think ill stick to pulling keycaps and cleaning it rather than ultrasonicing it for now.

peterfixit

ive previously ultrasonicd membrane keyboards, almost all of them have died, even after alcohol bath and leaving to dry overnight, mechanical keyboards work after ultrasonic

george-a

what if you just bathed it in alcohol? and while dipped press the keys to get the sticky shit out of the way?

peterfixit

it wont remove the stickyness, try alcohol and a toothbrush, but i think it has something to do with the liquid getting between the layers and changing the resistance, or something of the sort

ALB-Repairs

keycaps are pretty not pullable.

they have rubber domes just like allot of keyboards. However they have a PCB backed board not a layered sheet of plastic. All keys are connected via copper. Hence thinking it may work.
Theres something not right with the keyboard/sleep sensor as its constantly going in and out of sleep. When the keyboard ribbon is connected it gets stuck is sleep 90% of the time.

dukefawks

Administrator
Sleep sensor is on the keyboard, it's under a small cover on the side. Could also be corrosion in the connector.

ALB-Repairs

Tried this on a scrap keyboard. Some of the function keys fell off, looks like the F keys are glued on. (saying that i left it face down in the cleaner, so it may not happen if you pay more attention than i did.)

Will check the condition of the rest of the keyboard and get back to you guys.
It was dried on a preheater with the heat hitting the inside of the palmrest (not the keycaps obviously) I may actually be on to something with this.