820-3662 PPBUS, 5V_S5 and 3V_S5

G.Beard

Liquid damaged board.

Looks to have been cleaned with IPA but still shows liquid signs

Crusty around Q8060 and Q8052 replaced
Also C7317, C7318, C7319 replaced C7317 was particularly fucked.
U7310 replaced.

PPBUS = 3.9V
PP5V_S5 = 3.9V
PP3V3_S5 on scope hits 3V3 and slopes down. Cycles.

G.Beard

Changed 6259
PPBUS_G3H is back
5V_S5 is back stable 5V.

3V3_S5 is 0V on scope
Short on 3V3 someplace

Last edited:

aprendiz

Did you measure resistance with no power applyed and waiting for a moment for the circuit to discharge???

G.Beard

Did you measure resistance with no power applyed and waiting for a moment for the circuit to discharge???

Yep. It's 4.2Ohms so I guess I'll just wack some Amps through it and see what gets hot.....

However this is not making sense as earlier 3V3_S5 was cycling.

Last edited:

G.Beard

Ah. My bottom lip just detected a short through U1900
Replacing U1900 did not work!
This new U1900 is getting hot too.

Last edited:

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
Remove U1900 and see if the short is under the chip. PP1V5_S0 is going to have a low resistance to ground because it is a low voltage line powering a high powered large BGA.

G.Beard

Remove U1900 and see if the short is under the chip. PP1V5_S0 is going to have a low resistance to ground because it is a low voltage line powering a high powered large BGA.

No short under U1900 and PPVRTC still shorted without U1900 on the board. Caps on PPVRTC are all fine. 3V3_S5 also shorted. I had already restored PPBUS and 5V_S5.

This is a bit long now.
Your help is much appreciated... But fuck this board man.

Many thanks all.

Last edited:

peterfixit

what I do with rabbit holes is just start removing everything that could be pulling down the voltage or shorting to ground, if that doesnt work start removing bits that lead to other lines, one job of mine today was like that, one of the 1v s0 rails was shorted to ground, pretty much everything removed and still there, only thing left was the cpu, customer called, is now in the bin

G.Beard

I removed the caps on PPVRTC and the U1900 and it was still short on PPVRTC so we'll call it an expensive Frisbee.