820-4924 2015 rMBP diagnostics error (PPF004)

ytesfay80

I initally received this 2015 MBPR as having liquid damage and it was running slow and the system showed as using about 60% which was way too high.
The diagnostics test failed in these areas as well. PPN001, PFM006 (SMC - no liquid damage around SMC), and NDC001 (Camera).

There wasn't damage in many areas but I cleaned the liquid damage and replaced one component. Below is a list of areas that had corrosion
u7820
c7522
camera connector (corrosion inside connector - fluxed and heated and camera works now.)
q1840 (replaced)

Now the machine runs fine and the system runs at like 4% and the fans aren't spinning fast. The issue is now on the diagnostics I am getting the error for the fan (PPF004). I tried plugging in multiple different fans, another trackpad+tpadcable, an SMC reset but they all gave the same error code.
During the diagnostics test the fan will be spinning on high but while logged in and using the machine the fan doesn't even spin at all for the most part and the heatsink is not very hot to touch.
I'm wondering if this is something I should worry about or should I send this back to the person like this

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
4924 starts with no fan spining, as normal.
It wil spin when CPU gets hot.
If not, then you have a problem...

ytesfay80

I'm aware that it only spins when it gets hot and it looks like it is functioning properly but I was just concerned about the fact that the diagnostics test says there is an issue with the fan.

ytesfay80

Okay I installed it and it doesn't look like anything is reading abnormally except maybe for Airport Proximity.

I attached pictures of the readings so you may be able to see something.

Attachments

• IMG_3188.JPG
    IMG_3188.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 0

dukefawks

Administrator
Fan RPM is not displayed so something up with the tacho signal from the fan maybe. Run CPUTEST and see if the fan starts when the machine heats up.

ytesfay80

The fan wasn't spinning when I took that picture of the reading. I guess the cpu wasn't hot enough to make the fan turn on. I've used 2 other fans so the fan isn't an issue.

I installed CPUTest for Mac but it wouldn't work so I found an article that said to use the command "yes > /dev/null" for each cpu core so I just opened two windows in the terminal and the cpu got really hot and an alert came from "HWMonitor" telling me the cpu was about to overheat.

The fan began spinning but not on high like I thought it would. Here is another image of the readings.

Attachments

• IMG_3190.JPG
    IMG_3190.JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3191.JPG
    IMG_3191.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 1

ytesfay80

When I did that test the CPU heatsink was really hot to touch. I could only keep my finger on there for 1-2 seconds.

The second image was right after I turned off the cpu test. The fan still kept spinning afterwards until it cooled back down.

I did the test again and the fan didn't start spinning until the cpu core temperature got to 90 Celsius.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
90 is fine for the CPU. No idea what it could be at this point. If the machine seems to work OK just forget about it.