NOOB QUESTIONS. Do I use a power supply to connect to the board? How? ( & other ?s)

bruce1129

NOOB QUESTIONS. Do I use a power supply to connect to the board? How? ( & other ?s)

Hi, Im fairly new to diagnosing boards, and Ive mainly focused on iphone boards up to this point. on those boards you simply connect them to a power supply using a cable made for iphones, and then you can see a spike in amps to know there is a short on vcc_main, then hunt for it. so when diagnosing a macbook board, should i do the same, and if so how. if not,/ does everyone use the power jack to supply power at all times? also, do you have to use the schematic to see what is connected to what, or does the boardview show that somehow and i am missing it. (I realize these are newbie type questions, i had no idea how nice i had it with zxw software/pre made power supply connectors until i ventured into macbooks/laptops.)

jgraffis

for me i always use the proper watt power supply directly to the magsafe jack, except when diagnosing battery only issues. Board view does show which components are connected to each other as long as you select a component. I does show what each pin is supposed to be but not actually values like in the event you're checking a resistor( will not show the resistance value) only its path and the name of the path or power rail. the schematic is a must have to diagnose issues.

dukefawks

Administrator
You should just get an 85W magsafe 1 and 2 charger. All boards will power on from those. 15" requires an 85W.

dukefawks

Administrator
Well, with an 85W charger ASD will report a voltage sensor error on machines that require a 45/60, but just ignore that.