2011 macbook air 3 beeps, reflowing the ram but cant get the chips to shuffle/dance

Mr Zook

Hi,

First post here so hello to all. :)
I'm fairly new to repairs and trying to repair an 11" 2011 air that is displaying the three beeps on powering up.
Ive watched Louis's vid in regards to reflowing the ram chips, Im using Amtec flux, preheating the board to about 210 in the oven and then slowly heating the board with my gun and bringing up the heat to around 220.
Problem I have is that I cant seem to get the ram chips to shuffle or "dance" as Louis put it to show that they have been successfully reflowed/solder melted. Ive even pushed the heat and air right up on my heat gun to over 350 but they still don't move at all. Anyone know what Im doing wrong or is my heatgun faulty? (Im using an AOYUE Int 852, pictured) It is extremely hot so not sure if I'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Attachments

• photo995.jpg
    photo995.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Alan.L

its your station. i have the same model. it doesn't shuffle or make the chips dance. you need have a preheater underneath the board to make them dance....
when i tried a Quick 861DW station, it dance like in Louis's video without the need of preheater.

Nick

its your station. i have the same model. it doesn't shuffle or make the chips dance. you need have a preheater underneath the board to make them dance....
when i tried a Quick 861DW station, it dance like in Louis's video without the need of preheater.
What's the best pre heater temps for these jobs? I am having troubles lately on removing EMMC chips with my crapstation

dukefawks

Administrator
AOYUE is garbage of course. Also chances to fix this are pretty low. Practice BGA rework on scrap board first so you know how much heat it takes to melt the solder. Don't practice on a possible repairable board.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You must set that Aoyue to 450 probably, to get 220 on the board...
I had before Int768 model, always used at 450.