If board has PM_SLP_SUS_L but is missing PM_SLP_S5_L...

SMMRepair

If a board (let's say an 820-3437 for this specific thread) isn't powering on, but the SMC is being powered properly, ppbus_g3h is normal (8.58v), pp3v42_g3h is normal (3.44v), pp3v3_s5 is present, pp5v_s5 is present, the clock is good and ppvrtc_g3h is 3.3v, there's no damage to the board, no liquid damage evident or visible, PM_SLP_SUS_L is present (3.3v) but PM_SLP_S5_L is missing (and the CPU is not warm, no activity), is it safe to assume the CPU has failed? Is there anything else in order to confirm the CPU is dead? I have a growing stack of boards with these exact symptoms, and I'm fairly certain they've all got dead CPUs, but I'm always optimistic that I've just overlooked something and may repair them in the future.

I'm about to start digging into these guys as parts boards if the above symptoms do sound like dead CPUs. :)

dukefawks

Administrator
SLP_S5 missing can have many reasons. Probably not the CPU. Check if it is pulsing with scope. Must be liquid

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
According with Power State Table (page59), this signal is disabled before entering on S3 state; practically at the same moment as PM_SLP_S4_L.
I suppose that PCH requires activity on PM_PWRBTN_L first.