[SOLVED]A1278 gets a flashing question mark when booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello;

I ve got a macbook that shows a flashing question mark inside a folder after not succeeding loading the OS from the HDD.

To my knowledge this can be a HDD or data cable issue!

1- I ve tried to read this HDD by use of an USB casing connected to another macbook. I could see the HDD, but the system was corrupted. I ve partitionned the HDD and put it on the macbook but I got the same issue.

2- On this stage I thought it should be the cable, then I ve used a working hdd from another installed macbook, the macbook started normally. This has confirmed to me that the data cable has not problem.

3- I ve used another working hdd and partitionned it by use of another macbook. And tried it again on the customer macbook. And again I got a flashing question mark.

What can be the problem?

Greeting

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
On the second test, did you change the flex too?
Use the flex which worked first time.
This second HDD, works in other machine?

On the second test I ve changed only the HDD which is booting properly on the second machine.

I don t have a spart part for the data flexcable to be tested with.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Does it spin at least?
If it works through USB, then bad HDD flex...
But still possible to have bad connector, or corrosion around it.
I supposed you already checked that.

HDD 1 came with the customer laptop that gives a flashing question mark.
HDD 2 is a good working hardisk borrowed from another machine.
HDD 3 is totally another working harddisk

At first instance I ve thought that too. If hdd1 partitionned by use of another macbook and when placed on the customer machine still give the flashing question mark.

That s why I ve tooked HDD2 which confirmed to me that the cable is working fine, otherwise it will not boot up normally.

And yes I ve checked the state of the connectors at both side on the cable self and also on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.