820-2915 boots halfway then restarts(possible GPU issue)

ytesfay80

I got this 2011 15" MBP from a customer with this message.
"The Apple store told me what my problem is, but they will not help. My computer boots to grey screen and the white bar moves to right about halfway, and then it stops and screen then goes black.
After messing with it for about two hours, it finally booted and everything was fine for a few days, then it stopped again. I suspect a poor solder job that changes as the computer heats up."

Here is a video of what happens. It boots to about halfway then something shows up on the screen and then everything goes black and repeats the cycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVoFUQAkBEo

ASD EFI passed and the customer said there no liquid damage or previous repairs done. I see a few discolored probe points but nothing to make me say there was liquid damage for sure.

Last edited:

ytesfay80

I've tried booting from my Mac OS from USB that I always use and it did what I showed in the video. Is it possible for me to check the running temps without booting to an OS. I only have the EFI version on my flash drive but what difference would I see if I booted with the OS version.

peterfixit

i think the efi one is the same as when you hole d and boot, os lets you pick the tests usually between 50 and 150 individual tests, i never use the efi one i think its a waste of time

ytesfay80

I put ASD OS 3S144 on a usb stick and when I booted into it it would just get stuck on a light blue screen.

peterfixit

ok, something is fucked, from what i can see it turns on the eth controller then tries to initialise the gpu and crashes, id say try to get into asd and only run the external gpu test

ytesfay80

They already paid $150 before sending for the repair so I was planning on sending it back to them and tell them if it does the same thing in the next 60 days or so I would give them a full refund.

Should I just send this back and give them a refund right away because I can't replace the GPU on this?

peterfixit

write out a terms and conditions, if you are going to take a deposit, it has to say non refundable deposit, ive found most people will pay $55. or dont charge a deposit, your only options are stress test until it fails then refund or refund now and learn a lesson, but dont give it back partially working, either fully working or dead

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Better to give them a refund right now. If you did not replace the GPU you are scamming your customer as nothing was properly repaired.