Avoid L2 Computer unless you want junk: 820-2914 216-0810005

G.Beard

So I got some chips from a different supplier as the other place was out of stock.
Had three boards in today with graphics issues and two of them failed.
Last week I used chips from the normal supplier on 7 machines and all GPU replacements came out good.

The failed boards I tried again by replacing GPU once more... Still failing. Could it be some other issue on both of these boards or more likely a bad lot of chips?
I've attached a picture of the screen after replacing the GPU.

Attachments

• SAM_7247.JPG
    SAM_7247.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 9

dukefawks

Administrator
There are no new chips, they are all garbage. Stop wasting time until new stock arrives. My sources say within the next 2 weeks there will be REAL new chips in China, not holding my breath though.

In your image it can be anything. Bad GPU, bad solder, bad VRAM, damaged PCB, knocked component, you pick. Always heat original GPU to see if issue goes away. Then at least know the VRAM and board were good when you started.
Removed the VRAM glue?

G.Beard

Removed the VRAM glue?
Covered with a few layers of foil tape but I didn't remove it on any of them... working repair or otherwise. I read on AR forum that covering is good enough but then I guess that could be anybody's idea of good enough. I'll start removing it.

Always heat original GPU to see if issue goes away
Good advise.
Heated one of these machine last week and the issue went away.
The other one I dived right into without checking.

WRT the machine I didn't check by heating: First GPU gave me split screen effect, second GPU gives grey screen at login screen. I'll just wait until I can buy from the other guys. At least I know what I bought from them so far has been good.

I'll wait and test when some more chips come in.

G.Beard

yup duke and louis are always right

I think these ones from NYC are the same shit Louis bought and ranted about in an older video... All different date codes and thermal paste on the die on some. I will be rubbing these up the crack of my ass before I send them back!

G.Beard

Beware of the ones with thermal paste on them. It's not good to put it in the ass! - Ehm... I heard :D

I'll take a bit of paste up the ass right now for some good chips!.. Err, anyway..

If I have a machine that displays fine on boot and gray screens at desktop can this be narrowed down to a specific issue or could it be just as easily VRAM as GPU?
That is assuming I forgot to heat the GPU to start with.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
The are sanded down, polished and remarked 2011 garbage. So you can just as well reflow the existing GPU. Or just don't do anything at all. I got rumor new chips will be arriving in the next 2 weeks.