820-3115 no sound from headphones jack

rany

820-3115 No liquid damage, no previous repair attempt.
Sent to me for "headphones jack replacement." Did not test prior, just replaced it. Got sound with some static from original iPhone headphones jack then sound stopped. Was getting red light on and off.
Resistors, diodes, and caps nearby are within specs.
Removed conformal coating from U6880 to see if it lifted from heating, it was not. Then sound from headphones and detection of headphones stopped.
Replaced audio codec because it is easy, no change
Replaced jack again, still no sound from headphones and no detection of headphones.
Sound is working properly from speakers.
Before I go on and replace shit stupidly (reball from donors U6880 and U6400 audio amp, or other stuff), could they cause this? Could I have bad PCH too?

TIA

rany

Now there is sound from speakers as if headphones are not plugged in. This is what I meant by "headphones not detected."
(Only at the start right after first replacement headphones were detected but I don't know what caused them to stop working afterwards).

rany

EDIT: I sent it back to the customer, couldn't keep it any longer. Would like to know possible suspects/solutions for next time I encounter this.

The short answer is: there is sound from speakers when HP are plugged in, as if nothing is plugged in (hence the "not detected I mentioned in my question).

dukefawks

Administrator
Don't use comments I don't get updated when you do that, make a reply.
I cannot tell you what it was cause the board is gone now.