[SOLVED]820-00164 power issue

jgraffis

I'm looking at this 820-00164 that came in today. customer states that her daughter spilled a little bit of water near the power button. upon opening it up there is no noticeable signs of liquid damage what so ever. I mean this thing is clean but has the usual dust and fuzz that most do have. i get a green/red light on the charger. noticed it is trying to do quarter fan spin. i can here the fan motor trying to turn over about every 3-5 seconds. i did some checking around with the multimeter and found that all of the s4 rails were pulsing from 0.347v to 3.3v. i also found that pm_slp_s5_L is also pulsing the a same 0.347v to 3.3v. PM_SYSRST_L is also pulsing.

not sure where to go from here or if i should look somewhere else on the board first?

any ideas?

jgraffis

cpu vcore is pulsing u6100 area is in excellent shape but pin 6 and 7 are also pulsing, u1950 pins 1,2,5,6,7 also pulse.

jgraffis

on pin 1 of r7310 resistance to GND was 14.4ohms and dropped to 11.3ohm after about 5min. i did remove r7310 and r7320 to see which side the short to ground was on. and its on pin1 of r7310 and pin 2 of r7320. I'm thinking short on cpu but really it could be anything on this line? i think.

jgraffis

i went to plug the machine in to measure the voltage at r1962 and found that when my hand touch the cpu the machine turned on. i unplugged it/plugged it back in and same thing. so i pressed not hard on the cpu and it powered on again. i let it run for a bit. unplugged it/plugged it back in and it powered up like on its own a few times. i decided to throw it in the ultrasonic to clean the flux mess i made around r7310, and now no power on on quarter fan spin.

i do get a green light and am missing pm_slp_s4_L now. (guess i shouldn't have put in for cleaning).

i suck at cpu_vcore obviously. not really sure where to start over now. seems like the original issue was something to do with the cpu or at least a bad solder joint.
any ideas?

dukefawks

Administrator
Pretty sure it is just back to power cycling. Check 5V bus for pulses. But if this was really working when pushing on CPU it is not a board you want to mess with anyway.

jgraffis

i did check everywhere and i mean everywhere for corrosion. no signs of corrosion. Some one has dropped it at some point as the corner is bent but not enough to even break the screen so i past on that idea until it started turning on when i pressed on the cpu. I'm thinking i might just call this one unfixable and replace the board.

Was just wondering if the pm_slp_s4_L and pm_slp_s4_L signal comes from the cpu or the smc?

dukefawks

Administrator
They come from a complicated combination of CPU/PCH/SMC/RTC, so yeah. I doubt this board is worth the effort as it was probably damaged by the drop.

jgraffis

im leaning to the idea that maybe a solder ball was cracked under the cpu. so yea new board time. i don't have the stuff to reball these types of chip nor the desire. Good to know about the the PM_SLP_S?_L signals.

Thanks again. mark as solved or closed.