IMac GPU

Nick

Hello and good evening, I got a a1311 emc 2389 iMac that was PACKED with dust. GPU is fucked, few secs after turning on I get pink stripes. Should I get into this, replace the GPU and all? (I don't even know what chip does it mount) is it worth my time or is it junk? (Mostly, can I find new chips?)

peterfixit

im going to say junk, check aliexpress but id say the customer wont want to pay the replacement cost, maybe offer data recovery

Nick

Well it got a working hdd, data recovery is out, customer is a software house that prefers to fix this instead of buying a new one. I'm still debating if I should take it or tell em to buy a new one instead

dukefawks

Administrator
Probably a 216-0729051 chip. I am going to make a VBIOS mod so 0729042 can be used, that chip has better availability. Still very annoying to source these GPUs.

Gurmon

Probably a 216-0729051 chip. I am going to make a VBIOS mod so 0729042 can be used, that chip has better availability. Still very annoying to source these GPUs.

Hi Duke,

This will be most welcome. Maybe a bit of a cheeky question, any hints on how to decompress the efi ?

Last edited:

Nick

OT: found the original chip, lead free bga chips are shithell to work with. but it's working, tag as solved

Nick

i know, but i bought these face to face from a guy near here that hold a good stock of old (new) shit. these were lead free, the package seemed legit and it's working fine. date was 1035 or something, honestly i don't remember.