[SOLVED]820-2330 Battery indicator light not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrayne

Hi there, I'm very new to this, so please go easy on me.

I have a late 2008 A1286 that is in apparently perfect working order, with only one small exception and that is that the little battery indicator light in the side doesn't work. My first thought was that the little button/light assembly was broken, so I bought a replacement, however, this didn't fix the problem. I guess it's possible that the replacement was broken too, but I think it's unlikely.

I have the schematic and boardview for this model, but I'm a little lost as to what needs checking, especially as the button assembly is not included as part of the board schematic.

I have tested the connectors and cables that link the button to the logic board, and everything seems to be fine. The board is clean, and doesn't appear to have any signs of water damage. There are no other faults that I am aware of.

I would appreciate any assistance in diagnosing the issue.

Thanks,
Bruce

dukefawks

Administrator
BIL_BUTTON going low on pin 4 of U5050 when you press the button? I assume the battery is recognized and charging.

brrayne

Hello Duke, thanks for your reply.

Yes, the battery is recognized and charging.

Pin 4 of U5050 goes from 3.4v down to 0v when I press the button. Sorry, I'm not sure what that means.

Thanks again,
Bruce

dukefawks

Administrator
That means the SMC should see you pressing the button. Measure on diode mode pins 1,2,3 of J6955. No power applied of course.

brrayne

Sorry Duke, forget those previous numbers.

Pin 1: 0.309V
Pin 2: 0.456V
Pin 3: 0.456V

I had the black to ground in the previous measurements. These measurements are red to ground.

Thanks,
Bruce

dukefawks

Administrator
All seems fine to me. So either bad cable/indicator or the connector. My first bet would be on the cable.

brrayne

Thanks Duke,

Based on my continuity tests, I'm pretty sure that the cable and connectors are okay, so I guess that leaves the indicator.

Thanks again for your time and patience.
Bruce

brrayne

Just following up.

My second replacement indicator arrived today and it works perfectly. Obviously the first replacement indicator I purchased was a dud. That eBay seller describing it as "100% tested and working" is no longer on my Christmas list.

Thanks again,
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.