820-4924 PPM002 chimes, boots, and kernel panic

Coronaflyest

I have a 820-4924 that was dropped. It chimes, then boots like normal into OS X and it usually takes a few seconds to 5 minutes to do a kernel panic. When it does last a few minutes on, finder keeps quitting and most apps quit as soon as they open. An install of OS X can't be completed on this Mac it usually restarts on the first part. I have to install it on another Mac then swap the SSD. After a few kernel panics it won't no longer boot and disk utility is unable to repair the drive. I find that it takes a long time for the fan to turn on.

After trying multiple installs thinking this was an install issue or an SSD issue I decided to do AHT. I'm getting PPM002 (There may be an issue with the onboard memory). I've seen multiple videos where Louis reflows the ram chips, I've hesitated to do this since the Mac chimes and has never done the three beeps. Since it was dropped I think there might be a cracked solder ball.

I have both the schematics and board view ready just incase if theres something else I need to look for.

Is there a possibility that it's something else or is this the only solution, reflowing the ram chips?

I do appreciate everyones time and thanks for looking into this for me.

Alan.L

Make a memtest usb stick. To see if passes all the test or not. I think there might be a crack solder balls under the CPU or PCH

Coronaflyest

No Title

Make a memtest usb stick. To see if passes all the test or not. I think there might be a crack solder balls under the CPU or PCH

The test failed after a few seconds. I attached a photo of the output.

iStat shows PBus 0.00 V

I will also like to add that the cpu gets really hot and the fan didn't turn during that test. I couldn't rest my finger on the heat sink for more than 3 seconds.

Attachments

• photo1153.jpg
    photo1153.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited: