What could I be heating up to make this 00165 board work?

bjf

Every time I work on the U1950 area this board starts to work. Once it cools, it stops. I've replaced every component in the U1950 area and circuit and checked every trace for continuity. I've attached a picture of the area pre-ultrasonic. That was the only area hit by the spill. Any idea what's in this area that I'm heating to get this going?

Attachments

• photo1206.jpg
    photo1206.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 0

G.Beard

Every time I work on the U1950 area this board starts to work. Once it cools, it stops. I've replaced every component in the U1950 area and circuit and checked every trace for continuity. I've attached a picture of the area pre-ultrasonic. That was the only area hit by the spill. Any idea what's in this area that I'm heating to get this going?

Have you tired just wrming up the BIOS chip?

bjf

Not specifically, but that may be what's happening. It's pretty close to the area and has that nice fat ground pad on it. Would the BIOS chip work when it's warm and not work when it's cold? And to get more specific, it goes from working flawlessly when it's warm, to being intermittent when it's cold. The fan tries to spin up, sometimes does, sometimes boots.

G.Beard

Yeah that can happen.

Try the board first when cold... Light on USB mouse? Chime?

If no then something to do with BIOS.

Heat just the BIOS chip and see if you get a long dong.

If so replace BIOS chip with a donor just to test. If you get a chime every time, clean ME and use donor chip.

Last edited:

bjf

It does post fine when I heat up just the BIOS chip (and not for long) but switching it doesn't change anything. It still works when heated with the new one, and doesn't work otherwise.

I removed U1900 and put it back on after adding new solder. No change.
Removed J6100 permanently. No change.
3V42 is getting to U1950 solidly. I previously removed and replaced all of the components in the U1950 area and cleaned up and checked all the traces thoroughly. No breaks.

Any other thoughts?