A1465 keyboard fn not working

samiam

I had messed with this before and thought I was done but apparently not (trackpad temp TSOP line bad). Although the keyboard viewer shows every key responding, the fn key doesn't work/register so the fn keys don't do their functions and the keyboard viewer appears different, showing a full size extended keyboard instead of the smaller 11". Does anyone know which pin i should be looking at?

dukefawks

Administrator
fn is part of the complete keyboard matrix. This is a bad keyboard, but who uses fn anyway. I test fn by simply trying the F1 key to turn down brightness, when holding down fn that should not work.

samiam

no i tried a new keyboard and it does the same thing so its not the keyboard. brightness and none of those secondary functions work, that;s why i need to fix it

dukefawks

Administrator
This is a trackpad coding issue. There are 2 different keyboard matrix layouts. If you replace the trackpad you need to match it to the keyboard type. This can only be done in AST.
So either get a trackpad that matches your current keyboard or get a keyboard that matches your trackpad. Or take it to Apple to have them configure the trackpad.
Fixing the old trackpad may be the easiest option here, I bet it is just a damaged connector.