thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

[SOLVED]820-3024 (another) - SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SDA line droop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOLVED]820-3024 (another) - SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SDA line droop

I purchased this board, came fully functional aside from not recognizing battery. Looks clean, no evidence of liquid.

U7000
    Pin 11 3.4v stable
    Pin 10 SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SDA moves between 3.4v - 0.15v

R5280 2K
    R5281 2k
    SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SDA is stable at 3.4v on pin 1 of R5280 while pin 2 measurement behaves as stated above.

Data line troll fix suggestions?

That is the point. The SMC, ISL6259, and battery communicate on that line by dropping it from 3.42v to 0v by shorting to ground to create pulses. Those pulses are the communication. The SCL and SDA line should have something like 0.441 diode mode measurement to ground on them with red probe on ground.

Check PPBUS_G3H, if it is 8.16v and the pullups & traces are fine, most likely bad SMC.

Comment

Shiiioot. 8.26 on PPBUS_G3H.
      V to ground on both lines are good. Anything else to check before the bullet bite? And... What are the odds that a reflow will bless this thing? There are a few red TP's around the SMC, I suppose it's worth trying. You may be selling an smc stencil soon.

Comment

You can always try reflowing it but I doubt it

Comment

Got it. Why do failed smc's pull down ppbus_g3h and is that always an indication of it's state?

Comment

I forgot I borrowed some fb resistors from from u7400, replaced &. ppbus_g3h back at 8.4. but no orange julius!
            Relowed smc..battery <---> smc now chatty cathy.

this one is a wrap. thanks louis!

Comment

Originally posted by 2andrewd View Post
              I forgot I borrowed some fb resistors from from u7400, replaced &. ppbus_g3h back at 8.4. but no orange julius!
              Relowed smc..battery <---> smc now chatty cathy.

this one is a wrap. thanks louis!
              When I have reflowed SMC, the board comes back to haunt. I would replace SMC.

Comment

Noted. I've never attempted any BGA rework before but looking like it's gonna be a cornerstone.

Comment

thread bottom ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X