[SOLVED]820-3024 (another) - SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SDA line droop

2andrewd

I purchased this board, came fully functional aside from not recognizing battery. Looks clean, no evidence of liquid.

U7000
Pin 11 3.4v stable
Pin 10 SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SDA moves between 3.4v - 0.15v

R5280 2K
R5281 2k
SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SDA is stable at 3.4v on pin 1 of R5280 while pin 2 measurement behaves as stated above.

Data line troll fix suggestions?

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
That is the point. The SMC, ISL6259, and battery communicate on that line by dropping it from 3.42v to 0v by shorting to ground to create pulses. Those pulses are the communication. The SCL and SDA line should have something like 0.441 diode mode measurement to ground on them with red probe on ground.

Check PPBUS_G3H, if it is 8.16v and the pullups & traces are fine, most likely bad SMC.

2andrewd

Shiiioot. 8.26 on PPBUS_G3H.
V to ground on both lines are good. Anything else to check before the bullet bite? And... What are the odds that a reflow will bless this thing? There are a few red TP's around the SMC, I suppose it's worth trying. You may be selling an smc stencil soon.

2andrewd

I forgot I borrowed some fb resistors from from u7400, replaced &. ppbus_g3h back at 8.4. but no orange julius!
Relowed smc..battery <---> smc now chatty cathy.

this one is a wrap. thanks louis!

G.Beard

I forgot I borrowed some fb resistors from from u7400, replaced &. ppbus_g3h back at 8.4. but no orange julius!
Relowed smc..battery <---> smc now chatty cathy.

this one is a wrap. thanks louis!

When I have reflowed SMC, the board comes back to haunt. I would replace SMC.