[SOLVED]820-3023 wrong keyboard mapping

brrayne

Hi there, I received a 13" MacBook Air that was running very slowly. After opening it up I found some liquid damage close to the SMC (around C7912) so I cleaned it up replaced the corroded components and used some wire to fix a broken trace on R5270. After that, it all seemed to run quite well, however it has one strange quirk.

The mapping of the "special features" of the function keys (things like the playback and volume controls) are working like an 11" MacBook Air, not a 13". For example, the keyboard backlight keys don't work at all (even though the keyboard backlight comes on fine). The mute, volume down and volume up keys should be F10, F11 & F12, but they are F9, F10 & F11, exactly as they appear on an 11" keyboard.

If I change the system preferences to "use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" each function key responds correctly, but when I change them back to control the "special features", they are not functioning correctly. I have reset the SMC, zapped the PRAM and I have tried booting from different systems. I feel that I have eliminated all software possibilities, which leads me to think that it is a hardware problem.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

ALB-Repairs

Sounds like it has a 2010 air trackpad in it not a 2011 air trackpad.
There is a difference in the function keys between the year i.e 2010 airs dont have keyboard backlights