[SOLVED]820-00163 Boots fine. No brightness adjustment, turns off when screen is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjf

[SOLVED]820-00163 Boots fine. No brightness adjustment, turns off when screen is closed

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone experienced these types of symptoms before? Also, SSD shows up as external drive. Computer works fine outside of those 3 issues.

bjf

It was a liquid-damaged computer that got to me after being cleaned up. The board doesn't look like it got hit that hard. It turns off as if you had just selected shutdown instead of sleep (by closing the lid) so it never wakes or spins up afterwards.

dukefawks

Administrator
Brightness does work in OSX just nothing happens? The crash in sleep could be anything, inspect board for signs of corrosion, SMC area suspect

bjf

Yes, the screen comes on at some functional level of brightness, but the controls don't change anything. The meter pops up but the level meter is grayed out.

I just noticed the SMC has been replaced. I checked every single component around it and all are there and all are measuring fine so possibly a slightly bad SMC replacement? Or he destroyed a pad? Or possibly the wrong SMC? I reflowed it to make sure it was sitting right. No change.

dukefawks

Administrator
Ah, I bet it has the wrong SMC on it! You can compare firmware numbers that is reported in "about this mac".

bjf

Ok, the SMC version is 2.29f24. Not sure yet if that's the right one. So far, what I'm seeing is that this might be for the 820-00138. Not too familiar with this though to know for sure. Not sure what the one for an 820-00163 should be. The identifying numbers/letters on the SMC chip do match up with the stack of 820-00163 donor boards I have.

Last edited:

bjf

Thanks, wrong SMC. I switched it out with the right one and it's running fine now. It now has SMC version 2.30f2 for the DG boards. The other one was probably only good with the IG boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.