820-3209 - Missing SMC_PM_G2_EN

smiba

Hey everyone,

This board has water damage and slight corrosion, but nothing that looks too awful.

No green light on the charger, SMC_PM_G2_EN missing and not shorted

SMC_BC_ACOK: High
SMC_RESET_L: High
SMC_ONOFF_L: High
G3_POWERON_L: High

PP3V3_S5_SMC: 3.41V (PP3V42_G3H)
PP3V3_S5_SMC_VDDA: 3.41V
PP1V2_S5_SMC_VDDC: 1.19V
PP3V3_S5_AVREF_SMC: 3.41V

Am I forgetting anything or did the SMC just decided to be a bitch and die? :(

Last edited:

smiba

Yup, PPBUS is hovering between 8.17V and 8.19V.

Already tried a reflow. I'll see if I have donors for this model to use them SMC from

smiba

This time did a proper reflow (I did some research and experimented a bit on dead boards and I was sucking at it BADLY apparently) and got the system to work again. ASD passes and system is stable even after running CPU stresses or keeping it running for 30 minutes.

Only it has issues finding the SSD. Sometimes it finds the SSD and works for half an hour before the SSD is suddenly not found anymore and the system freezes. Reconnecting it sometimes works. When it works the SSD is fast so its not barely holding on or something, it fully works as expected until it just... disappears?
Already cleaned with a cotton swap in the slot and on the pins of the ssd in case there was any corrosion or dirt in there, looks clean if I use a flashlight to look into the pins.
The SSD looks like it was hit by the water though, there is a little bit of stickyness on the back but the side with all the circuitry looks mint.

Possible issue with the motherboard or just another SSD that died because of one droplet of water?

smiba

Time to pray and buy a SSD, they die all the time and its not bad to have one in stock anyways

Thanks