820-3115 - Short on DCIN

smiba

Hi,

Just a quick post

This macbook has a short on DCIN and for some reason a burned capacitor on PP5V_S3, the ground side is burned away. (Like the half of the capacitor is just burned crap and dust). Removed this from the board but it obviously doesn't solve a DCIN short (PP5V_S3 wasn't shorted by it either)

Removing the Fuse (Which by the way is not broken) tells me the short is on the system side (Pin 2 of F6905). I can not find any ugly parts and the motherboard looks overall decent for a 5 year old motherboard. Short is 0.4Ohm which is the lowest amount of resistance my cheap ass multimeter can measure (Holding the probes together gives 0.4Ohm as well), usually if there is a short from a capacitor the resistance would measure as somewhere between 0.6 and 1Ohm or somewhere between 1 and 25 ohms for a semi-short.

I don't have a bench supply and neither do I have a shitty chinese charger that has no short protection.
Is there a quick way to still make sure the motherboard is dead? I'm pretty sure its a internal short to ground due the low resistance.
Any parts that might be worth just quickly pulling from the motherboard to see if the short gets removed?

Oh, also PPDCIN_G3H has a short, but PPDCIN_G3H_CHGR does not. Even though the schematic tells me these are connected
Motherboard is probably trashed

Cheers

Last edited:

smiba

What is the recommended voltage to test it with?

Since it's the amps causing the heat up, would supplying just 1V be good enough? Or is it recommended to still use 16V?

Repairable

max voltage is wat is the max on that line, so pp3v3 has a max of 3,3volt etc volt is also your max on psu.

i would recommend start on 1 volt and go up in small steps
kick current up is what i do

smiba

Started at 1 amp but the board was totally cold

Moved up with 1 amp every minute. Its been running at 5amp for 10 minutes now and the only thing heating up is the wire going towards the board

Internal short?

dukefawks

Administrator
Yup, short in the board. You can try to isolate it. But this board should run from battery if the only thing wrong is the short on DCIN.

smiba

Tried to run it off battery but it was missing most (if not all) S0 lines. SMC_G2_EN was low but 3.42V is there

Not worth my time honestly, thanks anyways!