[SOLVED]820-00164 no backlight (fuse keeps blowing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytesfay80

This board had liquid damage around the LCD area and the connector/cable were burned. I replaced all the components around the LCD connector, the connector and the LVDS cable. When I plugged in the new lvds cable I got 0v on backlight at the connector. I had 3.32v on BKL_PWM and 0v on BKL_EN at one point. I replaced the 2 BKL_EN resistors but that didn't fix the bkl_en issue.

I put a new fuse on there but I ended up seeing there was 0v on Pin 2 of F7700. I put a couple more fuses on there and they kept blowing. I replaced Q7706/7 again and put another fuse on there and it blew again.

I'm not sure what could be causing this. I'm not sure if this is noteworthy but I did previously plug in the damaged LVDS to see if I had an image so I don't know if that damaged the connector internally.

The LP8550 area is spotless and I am seeing an image on the screen.

R7788/89 measure the proper resistance.

ALB-Repairs

Theres a short somewhere,
Could be the LP8850, could be the connector you plugged a bad cable into, They burn up quickly if plugged into garbage.
Whats the resistance to ground on the connectors backluight output pins?

ytesfay80

Okay I believe I was getting around 1.5kohms of resistance to ground on backlight pins. I replaced the connector, used another lvds cable and put another fuse on and it blew again. I replaced the lp8550 then put a new fuse on and that blew as well. It looked like the backlight was turning on for half of a second before I saw the fuse blow.
I am getting 0.26v in diode mode on pins 3/4 of the connector(that is with the blown fuse on the board).

What else could cause this?

Last edited:

ALB-Repairs

Is the screen your using known good?
Its rare for the fuse to blow, are the measurements your taking with a screen plugged in or unplugged?

ytesfay80

Those measurements were with the new lvds cable plugged in and without any power source plugged in.
I just put another fuse on and plugged in a known working bare lcd. I can manuever the backlight strip so I can plug it into the bare lcd but I decided to see if the fuse would blow with just the lvds cable plugged in and once again the fuse blew so I don't think the original display assembly is the issue.

dukefawks

Administrator
Inject voltage on the backlight line an watch current draw, slowly increase voltage. Something must be shorted out and cause the fuse to blow.

ytesfay80

Okay I injected voltage on Pin of F7700 and got up to around 6v and there was no current so I put a little alcohol in that area and immediately Q7706 started sizzling and 0.83 Amps appeared. I measured Pins 1/2/5/6 of Q7706 and they were both 0v to ground in diode mode. I removed Q7706 and the pads are still shorted to ground. The top layer and pad of Pin1 on R5490 is almost gone so I figure there was some bad liquid damage there that caused this. Pin 2 of R5490 is not shorted to ground though

Update: I measured L7701 in diode mode and both sides gave me around 0.08v to ground so I removed it from the board and Pin 1 gave me 0.08v and Pin 2 is around 0.39v so I assume the short is before pin 1. I have removed C7712/13 and Q7706/7 but the short still remains. I injected voltage on Pin 1 of L7701 and only got around 0.1amps so I put alcohol on the Q7706 pads and it immediately sizzled and it showed over 3 amps. Is this a short inside the board?

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Looks like a short in the board. You can try to isolate all parts on the shorted rails and create a new one with some wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.