[SOLVED]2014 MacBook Air 11" 820-3435 gets stuck booting at 100% on progress bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjf

This is a new one for me. Everything seems to be working fine, but it gets stuck when the progress bar hits 100%. It takes a little while for it to get there, so it's moving slowly as it tries to boot. I've tried multiple SSD's, external drives, different operating systems and nothing changes it. The board was obviously spilled on but it's getting to me after it's already been cleaned. I don't think any components have been switched though, just the board cleaned. Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated.

bjf

Ok, so EFI ASD gave me an "ERROR - Not Found" for Chipset (Test 1) Management Engine Presence Test. And all of the battery thermal tests failed - TB0T, TB1T, TB2T. (I had no battery installed) I'm assuming the SPI-ROM was damaged during the spill or someone messed with it.

bjf

Also, everything around Q5500 and Q5510 seems good. Voltages are all looking normal, dividers are working, enables are on.

bjf

Ok, thanks a lot for that. I'm waiting on a part from China and then I'll give this a shot.

bjf

Finally got back to this board. I used the BIOS you uploaded. Thanks so much for that. It now boots and passes both tests you mentioned. It also passes ASD. The only issue is the startup time is long, about 45 seconds. It actually takes it about 19 seconds just to find the OS and show the Apple. Internal SSD is selected in System Preferences. I tried another SSD with the same result. Temperature on SSD is hitting around 55 degrees Celsius (measured externally by infrared.) That seems about 25 degrees too high compared to another Air. Booting from an external SSD takes about 2 minutes. Everything about the computer seems to be running great other than this.

Last edited:

bjf

Yes, did a PRAM reset after any of the changes. I'll try a clean install. Any thoughts on the high temps?

bjf

Ok, so I did a clean install. The Apple now shows up within a few seconds, the progress jumps over like normal but then it slows way down and takes about 1 minute and 15 seconds overall to boot. The SSD temperature is about 65 degrees Celsuis measured externally. For comparison, the heatsink of the CPU is at 52 degrees.

bjf

Wow, thanks, I've never had a problem with anything other 2012's being slow because of the battery not being connected, but as soon as I connected the battery it booted up in normal time. Thanks for the tip. I work on the 13" 2013-2015 models constantly and have never seen this. I still have to figure out this temperature thing though. It's pushing right up into the 55 to 65 degree range. Any ideas? It's odd that the computer would work perfectly otherwise.

bjf

Yep, you're right. I compared it to another 2014 11" Air and the temps were exactly the same. Pretty crazy how hot they run. Thanks for the help. This one's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.