Macbook Pro 13 A1502 (820-3536-A) Turn on ,no image no chime

Ciki

Hi macbook have green then orange light on charger,turn on I mean fan spin ,but no chime ,no image (check with lights) no folder .PPVCC_S0_CPU is 1.74V should be 1.8V ? Inspecting under scope couldnt find any water damage

dukefawks

Administrator
So a brain dead board.....Could be anything really. Look harder for corrosion or knocked off parts. The history on the board is the most important thing, must know!

Ciki

Yeah its just for testing I put another bios and get chime and display ,today I will program the clear me bios and thats it .

dukefawks

Administrator
Use the original ME if the chip was original. Check if serial number matches from the bottom case. In doubt upload the BIOS here to be fixed.

ielectron

can u explain to me this repair? how can u fix the bios? the bios is in the SMC controller or in U6100? what is the ME region? u can send links too for deeper understanding, thx

dukefawks

Administrator
No I cannot explain this without writing a 1000 page essay on the topic. Most ME related stuff can be found with Google. When in doubt you can always upload BIOS on the forum to be fixed.

ielectron

in that video Louis heated up the U6100 bios chip to make it work again, then desoldered it, soldered it to a bios programmer TL866, heated up the chip again, read the bios, took another bios chip from a scrap board and programmed it with the original bios file, to sum up 2 hours of video :) than broke the board in half cause it did not work :) well that doesnt sound too complicated, i mean to deeply understand that it would take loads of time, but from a repair and technicians point of view that is rather quick repair. But why he could not fix that board eventually? was the bios file corrupted in the original? if so if i upload a bios file here how will it be fixed?

smiba

Just a heads up, there are adapters you can connect to the JTAG header of the macbook which allows you to flash the bios from there. Saves a LOT of time and doesn't risk breaking the BIOS by desoldering it.

The site selling them is a bit questionable though, so I don't want to give free traffic by posting it publicly. Just google it or shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Anyways the ME region is the firmware for a separate part of the CPU (Kinda like a processor for your processor). If this firmware data is wrong/damaged/not matching the CPU it will show odd behaviour. You'll have to clear the 'used' ME region and place a clean firmware on there. Use google, it should be fairly easy if you take some time to read it through

Last edited:

ielectron

so if i see a water damaged jtag connector and seems fixable/cleanable than i should not perform Louis favorite repair, the jtag connector removal cause maybe i need it to fix the bios? :) i guess u refer to the ghostlyhaks website, ive seen that board there, what he designed. If i upload the bios file here how would it be fixed?

ielectron

with a 13 inch macbook air, is it possible that a simple bios swap will just work fine? we tried it from another board, the serial number is not available in the menu, but otherwise works fine. how to check it fully if there is come incompatibility, so far it works .