a1286 2011 i7 15 inch gpu

ielectron

Can someone direct me to a shop/website/person where i can buy brand new GPU for those models, i know its not that easy to source a real good working, brand new one.

Also, i have this model, the gpu was reflowed twice, atm we cant replace the gpu cause we are still looking to source one (maybe 10-20 pcs), but for the moment im looking for even a temporary solution. So this laptop started to work after the GPU reflow, but failed in 1 month, was reflowed again, now works, but in OSX it starts to slow down after 10 mins, interesting that its not slow for a while, than even the mosue is very slow. I tried with a new SSD and new hdd cable and its the same thing, altough there is no typical GPU issue, like lines on screen, or discoloration, only this slow down.
Now i installed Windows 10, and with the newest bootcamp driver it wont install, cause officaly the 2011 model doesnt support windows 10, but with a bit older bootcamp drivers it is working now, and more interestingly it wont slow down, is that becasue windows is using the I7 integrated grapshics and it would change to the dedicated one while in 3d application?
Can someone shed a light on this to me? I know replacing the GPU would be the best but until the sourcing is sorted i need a soultion.

dukefawks

Administrator
Forget it, this party is over. It will be months before there is any chance of new GPUs becoming available. It is a big mine field of fake crap out there and not worth dealing with if you are buying 20 chips. I have about 100 chips left and would only sell them for at least $100 each, because if they are gone, they are gone at this point.

ielectron

would u sell it balled? at the moment i have only a simple setup (infrared heater bottom and top) , so if the chip comes with balls i could just position it and melt it to its place (its fully manual but i have experience to operate it, its not measuring the temp, so i cant setup an automated heat profile )
Also do u have the GPU for the A1297 820-2914-B 17 incher? is that the same gpu as for the a1286?

dukefawks

Administrator
All new chips come with balls. If you have no experience working with GPUs this is not going to end well.

ielectron

we have loads of xp with reflow in general, and bga replacement with smaller chips, also you have to start somewhere to get the xp :)
We possibly will have some 1286 and A1297 orders, if the customer accepts around 450-550eur for the repair (with a possible new hdd + osx + data backup, as they are old devices) i think its worth to take the risk to go with the gpu replacement. If u can sell us few chips please PM me with the details of shipping and final prices.