820-00426 Not booting

waseem345

Hi,

so i got this liquid damaged macbook pro retina 15'' 2015 in today.

Seems like the liquid got in from the side and dried up in the corner (see pics). The logic board and ssd etc are completely clean, no corrosion no damage no liquid stains.

The last cell of the battery which has the white stuff on it , is swollen and the battery does not work.

THE PROBLEM:

the issue is that when i connect the power adapter in, the macbook does not boot. loading bar goes quarter way then restarts and continues in that cycle.

Tried new ssd. same issue when booting into recovery or safe mode.

any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_7901.jpg
    IMG_7901.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Are you using a REAL Apple 87W charger and a REAL Apple USB-C lead? Disconnect trackpad to rule that out too.

waseem345

Using genuine 85w charger. When trackpad is disconnected it boots up. Any idea if the trackpad is faulty or the cable?

smiba

If it works without the trackpad you most likely have a dead keyboard.

Voltage of SMC_ONOFF_L? One with the trackpad plugged in and one without

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Could be the the keyboard or trackpad/cable. Seeing as the battery is fucked anyway you'll end up replacing the complete topcase anyway. I've not seen separate batteries yet.

smiba

I never had the need to buy one but I'm quite sure that they are now becoming more widely available from suppliers and on aliexpress. No idea about the quality of the battery though...

waseem345

Ordered the Battery, trackpad , trackpad cable and the keyboard since theres not a single topcase on eBay uk

Are you sure it could be the keyboard?

smiba

A good 80% of the cases.

The problem is that the power button on the keyboard will partially short so its pulling SMC_ONOFF_L halfway through ground. The voltage is probably floating around somewhere between 0V and 3.4V

Last edited: