820-3437 no chime no video

Ryanlen2

Computer came in after red wine was spilled on it the night before. Inspected the board and replaced all corroded components. Then applied power and got a spinning fan without chime or video. Fan went high and stayed high. Then after cleaning a bit I noticed that traces from R5177/78 to SMC were shot. I repaired the traces here and still had the same issue. Figured if the traces to SMC were that badly burnt that the SMC was most likely fucked as well. I then replaced the SMC and the board booted normally with chime and video but no backlight. Upon troubleshooting that backlight circuit I noticed a small white dot in F7700. Tested for continuity and found the fuse was dead, as this was one of the areas hit with liquid so it wasn't a surprise. After replacing the fuse and checking for short I applied power I got very faint backlight for a split second then it went off. This caused F7700 to go dead again or maybe the fuse was bad, Im not sure. Replaced F7700 again and I now have 8.56V on both sides. Only problem is now I am back to no chime and no video.

PPBUS -8.58V
PP3V42 -3.42V
PPBUS_S5_HS_COMPUTING_ISNS - 8.58V
PPDCIN_G3H - 16.5V
PPVRTC_G3H - 3.34V
All_SYS_PWRGD - 3.3V
SMC_RESET_L - 3.34V
SMC_Wake_L - 3.3V
CPUVCORE - 1.6V
USB Mouse lights up.
Was able to PRAM with external KB before but now I cant really tell.
Is not doing 1,2,3 fan spin at the moment.

Damaged areas were U3210 area, Bottom of SMC, Q3025 area, U7090 & Q7010 area, Q7155 area and F7700 area.
Confused because everything was working before I replaced the fuse and I have a really hard time with "No video, no chime. Coincidence?

Thanks in advance. Have a good one.

Last edited:

Ryanlen2

Hi Duke.
Traces/Resistors look good although on U6100, pins 5&6 are stuck at 3.3V. Shouldn't the fluctuate, then land at 0? J6100 itself didnt have any corrosion but probe points under Q5830 were red so I replaced it as well as C5830.

U1900
pin 1 - 3.3
pin 2 - 3.3
pin 3 - .931 ( I checked with known good working and got 0.20- 0.45.
pin 4 - 0.8 - 1.1
pin 5 - 3.3V
pin 6 - 1.184
pin 7 - GND
pin 8 - .564
pin 9 - 0
pin 10 - GND
pin 11 - GND
pin 12 - .438
pin 13 - 3.44
pin 14 - 3.3
pin 15 - 1.66
pin 16 - GND

Traces to XTAL from u1900? I dont see, please advise.

Thanks Duke.

Ryanlen2

Sooooooooo. I think I know what the issue is but, unfortunately I dont think its a repairable one. LOL.

After not really getting anywhere with this board (mainly because I suck when it comes to anything to do with clock/bios) I decided to put it in the cleaner to get a better look at it. Well that did help because I found a tiny hole I didnt see before in (TP) PCH_CLK32K_RTCX1. I checked for continuity back to U1900 but there isn't any. The TP is too frail and I cant seem to get a wire on it. So I think Im Fucked seeing that this is the only way to access this line. Thanks anyway for your help Duke. Have a good one.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Dont solder a wire. Expose the via copper "dot" and put a 0.3mm solder ball on it and try if it wants to flow onto it. Then put another ball there to create some more "flesh" and flow a really fine wire into it.