820-00239 Touch Bar, not powering on

waseem345

Got a MacBook pro 2016 Touch Bar in today, looks good inside, its defo liquid damaged, there was some sticky stuff on heatsink, however the board is clean, no corrosion ..nothing!

Wont power on at all.

dukefawks

Administrator
What kind of charger are you using? If it is that super clean inside just take it to Apple and claim warranty.

waseem345

Bought a new charger from apple store, cable is from belkin . water indicators are pink, can’t claim warranty

SMMRepair

New stuff has UV indicators for water ingress.

Does this prevent them from being swapped from non-liquid damaged boards/units? Or are they built into the surface of each component (i.e. not separate physical 'stickers')? I'm genuinely asking, I've only seen 12" retina units and no new MBP touch-bard units yet. I'm really curious. Clearly some cleanup would be required, but if there's actually zero corrosion or staining on the board, swapping out the liquid-indicators just for Apple warranty coverage should not be an issue. Unethical, sure (but I mean, let's not even bring up ethics with regards to Apple), but that's not the question here, etc.

edit: Not to derail thread at all; mod please delete if too off-topic.

Last edited:

waseem345

61w charger duke,

and SMMRepair, since the board and MacBook is clean, i would obviously just swap the stickers and have the logic board replaced under warranty, however the stickers are different to regular airs and retinas (this is my first touch bar) the closest match is the iPhone 4 stickers which are tiny bit bigger, would they do? also do these really have uv indicators or just a myth?

dukefawks

Administrator
You expect way too much from the monkeys at Apple that are fixing these. If it looks ok with some sort of white indictors they will fix it.
You can do a quick check for PPBUS on F7000

SMMRepair

Exactly what Duke said...Apple geniuses are robotic morons 98% of the time. Honestly those indicators just sound like the OLD rimless indicators...all over 2008-2011 machines.