820-2936, SMC_PM_G2_EN Bouncing

SMMRepair

Normally I'm pretty good at tracking down bouncing voltages due to shorts, SMC issues, etc, but this one has me stumped. Any help is much appreciated:

0. No liquid, board DID have a cracked Q7802 when I got it...replaced that first thing, before applying power to the board. Inspected rest of board very, very closely for damaged/missing components after seeing this. No other physical issues found.
1. ppbus_g3h 12.58v
2. pp3v42_g3h 3.43v
3. pp3v3_s5 bounces so quick multimeter can't catch it; initially found 3v3_s5 shorted (.000) which turned out to be U7200. Replaced U7200 and diode back up to around .100; I'm wondering if there's still a small short present? Good board is .120...I attribute this to discharge/etc.
4. SMC_PM_G2_EN bouncing as well, but my ppbus is 12.56 so I thought MAYBE damaged SMC, but replaced it and symptoms remain the exact same.
5. No shorts found after resolving the one on 3v3_s5; checked 3v3_s5-s0, 5v_s5-s0, vrtc, 1v5, 1v05, etc.

Usually I make enough headway to figure it out, but this one has me confused. Where else should I be looking for the cause of SMC_PM_G2_EN to be bouncing? I thought this was a power cycle, but the SMC is not resetting as my ppbus_g3h is stable, correct? My next steps were to see if 3v3_s5 killed any of the state switches (Q7810/30, etc), or Q7812? But if I'm going to blindly replace things, I'd much rather ask before doing so, to learn what to measure next, etc.

All help appreciated; not wanting to spend hours and hours on this one, so wanted to ask early. Thanks again! Really appreciate it.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
S5_PWRGD coming high? A dead U7200 may have spiked the 3v3 line and killed a bunch of stuff, U7941 is suspect then.

SMMRepair

Hey Duke. S5_PWRGD is coming high for a split second (confirmed with osc.), as is 3v3_s5. Replaced U7941, no dice; same behavior. Also, my diode reading for 3v3_s5 did go up after replacing U7941, from ~.99 - .100 (steady), to .110 (good board around .120). So I think you're right, there's something else damaged on 3v3_s5. I'll look around the schematics a bit and try to find a culprit (knowing now that u7941 and u7200 were both damaged). If you have any ideas, I'd really appreciate it. This is a 2.8 board, so I'm more inclined to spend a bit more time on it. Thanks so much, duke.

edit: 3v3_sus also comes high briefly, if that helps.

Last edited:

SMMRepair

Thanks, duke. I'll tell that to the customer, because I think you're right. Thanks so much for the help on this one.