820-3462 - No Keyboard or Trackpad recognized in the OS.

JohnB8812

Hey guys got an interesting one in. This device powers on and works normally, but the keyboard and trackpad are not recognized in the OS. The power button does work on any keyboard I try to turn the machine on and off, but no matter what keyboard or trackpad I use, the machine will come up with the bluetooth keyboard and trackpad notification on screen searching for a keyboard and trackpad. I have no reason to believe this device had liquid damage as the board looks really clean, and the keys and trackpad do not feel sticky nor look corroded. I see in the schematic that the power for the Tpad and keyboard comes from the CPU then goes to the USB hub then to the controller IC for the tpad and keyboard, and then finally to the keyboard and tpad. The connectors for both look flawless no burned test points or vias. Where do I start on troubleshooting this? I'm guessing U2700 is ok as i do get a light on a USB mouse for both USB ports.

JohnB8812

Btw if U5701 is bad, can I pull it from say an 820-3115 or an 820-2914? The chips look almost the same a few numbers are different, but the name of the chip is the same CY8C24794

dukefawks

Administrator
Can you get into boot menu with ALT key? Tried a known good trackpad+cable?

U5701 has firmware and is different from MBP boards. Will work from retina boards 2012/13.

JohnB8812

Have tried cable and tpad with new one and no change does not light up the caps lock key nor move mouse cursor. Have not tried alt key yet I do know the only key to work for me so far is the power button but will try to use alt tomorrow. And thanks for info on U5701 will order donors for this one

JohnB8812

Ok so alt key doesn't work either. No key on the keyboard for me actually does anything besides the power button.

JohnB8812

You can close this one. Customer for the repair shop who sent it in was a major b i t c h. Didn't wanna pay anything to fix it lol probably for the better we didn't do anything to it yet.