820-3437, Won't Detect SSD, Liquid

SMMRepair

Dealing with a board that had liquid-damage, but was cleaned very, very well. Hard to tell where all the liquid intruded, but nothing visible damaged/corroded anymore. The only issue with the board (so far) is that it won't detect an SSD.

1. SSD_PWR_EN, PP3v3_s0sw_ssd_flt both present
2. No caps/resistors missing from area or data lines; checked entire board well, no damaged or missing components (this has always been the cause of no-SSD-detect on previous boards, so I looked well)
3. R3700/10 measure out fine

Before I go through and compare all diode measurements and check each data line, I wanted to check to see if there's anything else I should check/do beforehand. Any help appreciated as always, thanks!

SMMRepair

Hey Aprendiz, no EFI lock. PRAM resets fine. Boots to USB drive fine as well. No storage/SSD detected in system preferences or system profiler, etc. SSD also does not seem to get as warm as one normally does (it's warm, but seemingly from proximity to CPU).

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Just to be sure, did you try a known good SSD? Next would be some diode mode readings on the connector and check the traces to the PCIE caps.

SMMRepair

Hey Duke, thanks. Yeah I tried 3 SSDs just to be safe. I'll get into diode readings tomorrow and will post those; will also check all my continuity on those caps. Will post back tomorrow!