2014 15" Retina 820-3662 Sleeps and never wakes up

Mac-N-Sauce

Have a computer that works until it sleeps, then never wakes up. I have to reset SMC to make it power on again.
Totally have no clue how to begin.
Need to resurrect it! :)

Mac-N-Sauce

Minor water damage near display port, no evidence of dropping. Seems to work normal as long as it does not sleep. Once it sleeps then has to have reset to start again
Have the PP3V3_S4 rail present with charger plugged in. Can be shut off and turned back on, just not from sleep mode

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
water damage near displayport means it seeped into the SMC as well. I'd give it a light reflow with flux to get rid of corrosion, if that doesn't work a reball, if that doesn't do it a replacement.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
when I set my JBC to 450c it heats to 510, when i set my weller to 500c it heats to 425.. i have no fucking idea what to tell you for temperature. these stations are all pieces of shit that do what they want. put flux around it, heat from far away, and you will see this puddle of flux slowly "disappear" until there is only flux sitting around the chip for 1mm outside of it on every side. once at that point you can go in around the chip until you get a reflow. practice on something else before doing this on a fixable board.

Mac-N-Sauce

Ok, thanks. Will do., Just curious though, the smc is on the complete opposite end of the board, why would you think liquid would have got there? there are no signs of liquid anywhere around it. I am just trying to be cautious before i try to reflow the SMC. ( i have never done it before and replacing it is not an option for me as I do not have the equipment)
The display connector got hit and there was a little liquid around the thunderbolt area(u2800).
I have inspected the rest of the board and have not found any other signs of liquid.

Last edited:

Mac-N-Sauce

OK, reflowed the smc, now i have no green or orange light and does not turn on at all. Have PPBUS_G3H, PPVIN S5 HS, PPDCIN_G3H,PP3V42_G3H

Am i to assume i killed the SMC?

​I used to have a working computer that would not come out of sleep, now I have one that won't turn on at all!

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
When reflowing SMC, remove edge bonding! You can't reflow a chip that still has the edge bonding.

Now it turns on but must figure out this sleep sensor crap.