HELP!!! Finding a short to ground when nothing gets hot on the board

supamodz

Hey guys this is a general question about finding shorts. This problem happens to me from time to time and i have no clue on what to do.
From time to time i will get a board where i find a short to ground, so i then would inject voltage in that circuit, but when voltage is injected the voltage drops on psu but amps do not drop. When i check around board using a flir thermal camera nothing gets hot which makes the short almost impossible to find. How do you find a short when this happens? This annoys the shit out of me when i come across these types of shorts looking for suggestions.

dukefawks

Administrator
"the voltage drops on psu but amps do not drop" What does that mean?
If you have a short and you inject the maximum voltage on that rail lets say 1.5V and there is no current draw then there is no real short. If you have a full hard short injecting any voltage will pull maximum current from the PSU.

supamodz

"the voltage drops on psu but amps do not drop" What does that mean?
If you have a short and you inject the maximum voltage on that rail lets say 1.5V and there is no current draw then there is no real short. If you have a full hard short injecting any voltage will pull maximum current from the PSU.

then my question is if you don't have a full hard short how do you find whats causing the connection to be missing finding these issues are nightmares to me how do you handle a situation like this duke.
So i guess this is why its better too look for resistance to ground instead of using diode mode to find shorts because that what I've been doing to look for shorts.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
How do you define "short"? Anything over a few dozen Ohm will not cause enough current draw to heat something up.