[SOLVED]820-2850 Only Posts With 2 GBs of RAM

This computer had the GPU cap problem. I replaced the cap with the larger capacitor and verified that the repair was working and the GPU passed stress testing. I then put the board in the ultrasonic to clean of the leftover flux, after the cleaning process the computer only chimes and POSTs with 2 GB of RAM installed. I have tried each stick in each slot and confirmed that both sticks are still good as well as both slots, even for grins I tried using a single 4 GB stick. When there is 4 GB of RAM installed the computer power cycles constantly and the optical drive will initialize over and over along with the power cycling. There is no red light on a USB mouse when the computer is power cycling either. Any ideas?

I have a Crest 2.5 Gallon without heat. Using the 103 mL of Branson EC per gallon of distilled H20. I was low on 99.9% IPA when I did the post cleaning alcohol bath before going into the toaster to dry I am worried I didn't get all the water off the board even with 30 mins at 200 F.

dukefawks

Administrator
I really have no idea. All the mess you put the board through is not needed. You can just replace the cap with a normal soldering iron and avoid any such damage. Possibly there is crap in the RAM slot or the pins got stuck due to residue in the slot.

We can mark this guy resolved! I put it through the cleaning process one more time and things are all good, probably crap that didn't get fully cleaned the first time.

dukefawks

Administrator
Don't clean boards that don't need cleaning. C9560 can be replaced with a simple soldering iron. No need to remove RAM or heat sink or anything. Keep it simple.