thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

Water damaged A1398 boots (w/chime) to black screen, dies when booting from ext hdd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water damaged A1398 boots (w/chime) to black screen, dies when booting from ext hdd

My first post so be gentle.

15" MBP Retina (late 2012)... water damage took out the I/O Board (melted the I/O cable). Removed cable and board. Also killed the SSD (wouldn't boot from another Retina). Localized corrosion removed. Applied power and attempted boot from external usb hdd. Dies after 3-5 seconds of power. Reset SMC and PRAM. Fans now on high, but still dies after 3-5 seconds. Ran Apple HW test. Shows "no problems with the logic board."

Huh?

Won't boot to Safe Mode.

Starts booting to Recovery but as soon as it looks for a place to install, total shutdown executes.

My brain says SMC. Will SMC operate as normal with no I/O board? Waiting for a replacement board and cable.

Many thanks to all kind responses.
    Last edited by wedge07; 06-08-2016, 01:09 PM.

I believe this should at least boot without IO board. ASD should report a sensor issue if your fan is running high.

I have had these shutdown issues as soon as Apple logo appears. It was a corroded pad under one of the PWM chips of the CPU Vcore power supply

Comment

check for long screw damage on CPU heatsink screwholes

Comment

Originally posted by dukefawks View Post
        I believe this should at least boot without IO board. ASD should report a sensor issue if your fan is running high.

I have had these shutdown issues as soon as Apple logo appears. It was a corroded pad under one of the PWM chips of the CPU Vcore power supply
        Looked and noted I didn't clean as well as I could have. My CP500HT comes in on Monday. Will try another cleaning...

Comment

Originally posted by larossmann View Post
          check for long screw damage on CPU heatsink screwholes
          Looked at all 8 and the underlying board remains undamaged. Thoughts? Is this a voltage runaway problem?

Comment

Where was the original water damage?

Comment

Originally posted by dukefawks View Post
              Where was the original water damage?
              The original damage was on the I/O Board and Cable. Went up in smoke. Initially removed the board and everything seemed to be working after a cursory cleaning but then it started spontaneously powering off after reading on the internal SSD for about 2 minutes. Then the SSD completely self-destructed and I removed it. That's why tried to boot it off the external. I haven't applied power since the external died after 4 seconds.

Comment

thread bottom ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X