Jump start Macbook Air - Possible?

Hi, my client macbook air is water damaged. Ive done ultra sonic. The light is coming on dc jack.
But i cant start the laptop when pushing start button on keyboard. Is there anywhere i can jumpstart the laptop?
or is there any other problem u might suggest I do beforehand?

Thanks

aprendiz

what board is this??? Search on boardview for SMC_ONOFF_L... Also remove battery and it should auto turn on when connect charger........

aprendiz

well, use boardview to find the signal, also try without battery and plug charger, if it does not power on by itself measure voltage on PPBUS_G3H....

dukefawks

Administrator
Does the light turn green and then orange? Need PPBUS voltage. Some of these board will only power on when a good battery is connected. R5115, 5116 are the power on pads. These boards should however power on be themselves if all power has been removed including disconnecting the battery of course.

Yes the light goes green and then orange.. and stays at orange.. I have disconnected the battery. Since Im quite new to schematics reading, please bare with me and Im sure we solve it together.

On PPBUS_G3H.. what singal/volt should I check for.. I attached 3 screenshot. is this correct place to look?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2018-05-17 kl. 06.15.49.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-05-17 kl. 06.15.49.png
    377.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Skärmavbild 2018-05-17 kl. 06.16.04.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-05-17 kl. 06.16.04.png
    462.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Skärmavbild 2018-05-17 kl. 06.15.03.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-05-17 kl. 06.15.03.png
    491.2 KB · Views: 0
When i check diode mode on this resistor 5116: it shows zero volt.. Should it be like that?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2018-05-17 kl. 06.29.26.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-05-17 kl. 06.29.26.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Skärmavbild 2018-05-17 kl. 06.29.47.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-05-17 kl. 06.29.47.png
    400.8 KB · Views: 0

dukefawks

Administrator
You simply check the voltage on PPBUS, F7140 is an easy place to do that.

Why are you checking diode mode on R5116? Also diode mode most not be used when power is applied!

Inwerp

No Title

this is NOSTUFF resistor, it is also easy to find since this pad is pretty big and present on both sides of the board.

Attachments

• photo1752.png
    photo1752.png
    44 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Inwerp

Thanks for replying.. What do u suggest I do with this resistor?

NOSTUFF means that there's actually nothing here. you just short this pad with tweezers and it is equal to power button on the keyboard.

don't be mad but i suggest you to watch 10-100 Louis's videos with corresponding boardview and pdf opened and try to follow his trace.
i'm telling you that because it was my daily practice quite a while and it is much better than knowing things like "where is power override" on some particullar board. if you know purpoise and main pins of SMC, you need just one second to find how to power on or SMC reset almost any Mac board.

NOSTUFF means that there's actually nothing here. you just short this pad with tweezers and it is equal to power button on the keyboard.

don't be mad but i suggest you to watch 10-100 Louis's videos with corresponding boardview and pdf opened and try to follow his trace.
i'm telling you that because it was my daily practice quite a while and it is much better than knowing things like "where is power override" on some particullar board. if you know purpoise and main pins of SMC, you need just one second to find how to power on or SMC reset almost any Mac board.

Ok.. i saw your reply now.. thank you!

smiba

HI Duke. I put the red probe on ground, and black on F7140.. the DMM shows 0,999 m... What does that reading tell you?

Well to start, you have the polarity inverted. Red probe (positive) should go on F7140 and Black on ground (negative) in an optimal case, but for voltage we can just ignore the negative (-) indicator for now.

0.999 m what? 0.999mV? 0.999mOhm?

Let us know the voltage on PPBUS_G3H with power applied and your multimeter set to Voltage mode (The "V" indicator, just to be sure: don't use the "mV" for this one). If you know how to, also report back the voltage of PP3V42_G3H.

Also I agree with Inwerp, you should probably check some of louis's introduction videos