Bootup stuck on Apple logo with progress bar full

cobragfox

Has anyone had this issue before and what did you do to resolve it:
MacBook pro 15, 2013.
Boots up to Apple logo and the progress bar loads all the way but never switches over. The keyboard back light even lights up, as though it was at the login screen.

so far I have done all the usual SMC reset, NVRAM reset. No luck. Same issue when booting into safe mode and recovery, stuck on progress bar. Occurs with battery plugged and without. Also with everything on the logic board unplugged and with an external HDD.

cobragfox

Bios chip hasn’t been touch from what I can see. The customers kid accidentally plugged a usb cable that was plugged into a power source into the USB port killing the the logic board. Took out the Audio codec chip, USB port power switch for the left usb, along with a couple diodes around those components. Also killed the SMC. I’ve pulled all the blown components and replaced the SMC to restore power. Was waiting to confirm power fully restored before installing the codec chip. Didn’t think the codec chip would prevent it from booting up. The right usb works after SMC replacement.

cobragfox

If i leave the audio codec chip out, could this be what causing the boot to hang? Was holding off installing a new one till after i confirmed board didn't have any unrepairable fails.

820-3787, audio chip - U6201

dukefawks

Administrator
It should boot without U6201, but that is with 10.11. I have no idea if newer OSX is making a problem. Try booting 10.11 from a USB drive.

cobragfox

Same issue with 10.11 and below. Hardware test passes all the time, so i'm assuming its firmware related. I'm stumped on this one.

cobragfox

If U1100 of the 820-3787 board, the intel HM87 chipset, if thats bad (resistance reading on USB_EXTA_N is around 6ohms with a good board being about 1Mohm), could this be the cause of boot up being stuck. I'm just concerned that this board as a lot more failed components.

dukefawks

Administrator
Only U4650 and U1100 on that line. So remove U4650 and if resistance is still low the PCH (U1100) is most likely the problem.

cobragfox

Yep, removed U1100 and confirmed PCH is intact bad. Is it possible to pull and replace it using a hot air rework station, i currently do not have a BGA rework station?

dukefawks

Administrator
It may be possible but without experience I doubt you will be successful and destroy the board. Either get the proper equipment or have someone that can handle this do this. The BIOS will also need fixing the ME region after the PCH is replaced or it will still not boot into OSX.