[SOLVED]820-000165 A1466 No Audio

Tony Tone

I have this MB that came in stone dead several weeks ago. There is no water damage. When I checked the rails I found there was no S4 rail. So what do I do when I see there is no S4 rail? Change the SMC.
I changed the SMC and all was good. Customer comes back in a few days crying there is no audio (I never checked audio). Indeed no audio. I have inventory of all new parts and some used parts. So yes, I tried several KNOWN good DCIN boards from inventory and from other peoples working machines. I've tried KNOWN good flexs, speakers and checked everything I could find related to audio. It is now week 3 I've been working on this board 40+ hours already. Reaching out on some of the FB forums I found someone smart enough to suggest to try another SMC. Bingo, it worked. I did get sound back. But then I had other issues like backlight, no keyboard, no trackpad, dying after boot. I've put in 12 different SMCs 20 times and I can't find the right SMC that working with audio before (my SMC area has been worked so many times traces are beginning to show so I've had to use solder mask on those parts). I'm just getting the same results no matter what I do. What I am coming to find is that on pin 2 I get 3.4, so I guess this is high coming from SMC. My question is why is it high? How do I make it low? So all my voltages are going to ground on pins 4&5. So I thought I would experiment by lifting pin 2 to see what happens. And I do get my voltages on 4&5 but no sound. I have no shorts or broken traces. I've tested just about all caps and resistors on all these lines and kinda stuck. NO AUDIO whats ever.
35156879_1420963864670608_5124354686635212800_o.jpg

Tony Tone

I've done my research already on this issue and others with the same issues were never resolved. I know it has something to do with the SMC.

Tony Tone

Just can't figure out why pin 2 is high at 3.4. Can I do some fancy jumper or add a resistor or something to trick it to work?

dukefawks

Administrator
Did you use an SMC from an identical 00165 board?

If in doubt you can remove R1921, this should get you a chime to see that audio works. It will mess up the ME though so it will probably not boot into OSX.

Tony Tone

Wait a minute... The SMCs are different? I have just been matching up the dots on bottom and assuming they are the same...

Tony Tone

I will try to find an identical 000165 SMC, I have 2 dozen SMCs here that match that dot pattern. I just need to figure out which is which.... I had no idea they were different !!! I will try that !!!

Tony Tone

I see is LM4FSXAH5BB. I just put it on and still no audio. Are the DCIN and flexs differ as well? The rest of my chips are EH & BH I believe. I only have one AH. Same symptoms no matter which : (

Tony Tone

It seems if I lift leg 2 and put 1.5 on it also turns it ground. But if I leave the leg up then the voltages go through. Is line suppose to be 0V on leg 2? & why is 3.4 coming from the SMC?

dukefawks

Administrator
You can only use SMC from the exact same board, they can never be swapped. So you can trash all SMCs you have that you don't know what board they came from.

Tony Tone

Can't you go by the numbers on the chip and match to the schematic? I've been using these piles of chips before and haven't had any issues. I just try another SMC until it works. LOL. But I do understand this can probably cause major issues. Duly noted. I will leave them on the board for now on. Thank you for the tip Duke : ) You're amazing! I would have never figured it out on my own. I will follow up once my new donors arrive : )

Tony Tone

I also found out that by lifting leg 2 that it has to be less than 1V, or anything higher it will go to ground : )

(I didn't actually lift the leg, I just removed the whole thing and soldered with all 3 lifted and solder blobed 1 & 3 to the board leaving 2 NC).

Tony Tone

Ok this one is back in. I've got some more SMCs (the correct ones this time). And still the issue is the same. No audio. I am thinking the surface of the board has been worked too much and they balls underneath must be getting together somewhere underneath. I have put some solder mask on parts in between pads and seems like I did a good job.

I am wondering. What would be a good way of solving this issue? Would diode mode on the SMC pads provide any clues I am guessing? Also, I need a known good to take measurements 1st, which I don't think I have. I'll have to check. Or are there some good reading that someone may have out there already?

Tony Tone

*** SOLVED ***

Ok, I finally got it. Put some more solder mask under the SMC.
Sound working again.
I knew it was the f-ing SMC. I just knew it!

Tony Tone

Another thing that I must take into consideration is that I did use a different SMC on my last placement. So it could have also been just the wrong SMCs.