create 10.6 usb installer without DVD

ielectron

Is there any way to create 10.6 usb installer without a macbook which runs already 10.6? im trying it on a a1278 2010 macbook but i can use different macbook as well if that helps. I dont want to order a dvd and also the dvd drive in the old a1181 is dead so usb installer is the only way

ielectron

i downloaded the 10.6 ISO from torrent , but now how can i create a bootable usb with that? I ve done that before running 10.6, there is an option in disk utility, RESTORE, but in later osx there is no option like that, only the create medi install in terminal, cant i use that? so im running 10.11, and want to create 10.6 usb installer

ielectron

in 10.11 if i open that restore menu, and point to a 10.6 ISO file, it kinda opens it up but the install mac os part is greyed out, so i can go further.... ah , i think i need a working 10.6 to do that

ielectron

now i got a hdd with working 10.6, i can restore an iso what i downloaded from the torrent, i can boot from that usb, and than it says u cant install this os on this mac..... OMG .. does anyone have maybe a an ISO made from an actual 10.6 installation disc? without any modification?

dukefawks

Administrator
Make sure the clock is set correctly or the installer will not work. What machine are you putting this ancient and pretty much unusable OSX version onto?

ielectron

the old white crap, a1181, it works fine but hdd is failing, seems that i found a solution now , i downloaded another DMG from torrent, and used another macbook with 10.11 and carbon copy cloner, now it actually started to install it, hopefully can finish fine

ielectron

finally finished it...

-not every image from torrent works, u have to download a few and try them
-a new usb 3 usb stick works ok, but many times i had to unplug and change the usb ports to be recognised, once its recognised it will install fine
-carbon copy cloner worked fine to create bootable usb, runs on osx only
-i was not able to install 10.6.8 or 10.6.7 , it stopped with an error, installed 10.6, and later updated to the latest 10.6.8, but have to individually do the updates, doing it in a bunch just fails
-safari is old, outdated, many website wont work with it, not possible to further update as its tied to OSX, all the newer modern web browser also dont support 10.6 anymoire, the latest is the firefox 48, which u can download, unpack, and just run from the BIN folder once its unzipped
-10.6 cannot read exfat hdd, we are aleays using exfat hdd, cause it is compatible with osx and windows, in this case i had to remove the hdd, and later remove it again once osx was installed, and did the backup on a new macbook which can read/write exfat and hfs too, i did not want to format a hdd hfs just to do a backup for this single laptop

Last edited: