A1708 replace keyboard

dukefawks

Administrator
No, it is similar to A1534 and it is complete HELL. Do not think you can pull the key caps and swap them over on the new keyboard as damage to the butterfly mechanism is guaranteed. Expect to just buy a complete topcase with the correct keyboard layout and avoid all the drama!

Yordanov

When you say to damage the butterfly mechanism you mean if I replace only the keys? I want to replace the full keyboard and pull it out removing rivets and put screws instead.Why butterfly mechanism damage?

dukefawks

Administrator
Because "local" keyboard layouts are usually hard to get. So if you are thinking of swapping over keys to correct a UK keyboard to lets say Spanish you will fuck it up.

Yordanov

Ok, now I understand what you mean. Yes in A1502 is preaty easy. Will tell customers only UK is possible.
And what about just keyboard replacment? Same job as A1502? Remove rivets and put same screws?

arnonabuurs

I replaced already 10 keyboards only, not too difficult but make sure to charge double the price compared to the A1502 just because as Duke says, it kinda sucks! And make sure to use the rightkey board as after installation you do not want to have to remove it again.....

Gurmon

also, putting the screws in sucks big time.....i usually put screws in at a slight angle. otherwise they tend to pop out.